My Blog List

Friday, June 22, 2012


Day Numero Doce:

Today we didn't arise with the birds of the Amazon and got to sleep into late, or at least our version of late. 7 o'clock is now our late but hey who is to complain when you get siestas? After we devoured our breakfast we headed out on another three hour hike where this time Libio showed us all the medicinal plants of the Amazon and how they have been used for centuries to cure the people of his culture. My personal favorite was the Dragon's Blood he took from a plant. If any of you watch Man vs. Wild, Bear Grilles definitely used Dragon's Blood in one of his episodes and I truly felt like his daughter and utilized his knowledge. After hike we headed back home and ate a much deserved lunch, however today there was no siesta. I know so sad but at least we didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn. After lunch we headed back out in the canoes and went to Mono Island, or Monkey Island for those of you who don't know Spanish. We searched the island high and low and finally found some cute, little wooly monkeys. They were ADORABLE. I officially want one as a pet. We headed back to the lodge and ate some din-din. Then went out on a bug hunt and discovered the creepy-crawlers that only appear at night. We came back crawled into bed and went to bed. Or at least I tried to before the infestation of ants took over my bed. After a good twenty-minute freak out I finally was able to get into bed. Falling asleep is another story but the power is going out so I guess I'll say goodnight. 

Day Numero Trece:

Well this morning we woke up once again at the crack of dawn and walked around looking for monkeys on the property of the lodge. We didn't really see any since we were all tired and we crashed around in the forest. Oopsies we can be a little loud from time to time. We made it back in time for breakfast where we once again devoured our food. After breakfast we ventured out in our trusty old canoes and went PIRANHA FISHING!! Yes, we fished for piranhas and yes I caught some. Ok some is a stretch, I caught one, but more about that later. After our fishing excursion  we went back to the lodge and ate lunch. After lunch we were allowed to siesta, but Taylor, Sam, Lauren, and I all went swimming. It was so refreshing and I got nice and tan. After our swim session we came back and Callie and I went out fishing again where we got plenty more piranhas and had probably too much fun out in the canoe. We came back with all our catch and then had dinner. After dinner we were sent to pack seeing that tonight is our last night here in the Amazon. We had our nightly meeting and then we were sent to bed. Tonight I lay under my mosquito net and reminisce over the time we've had in the Amazon. Goodnight world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment