My Blog List

Friday, June 22, 2012

Just a little side note before I launch into our adventures of today -- I  just went back and re-read a few of my last posts and I realized that they are slightly out of order...oops sorry about that. Our lack of internet has caused us to utilize Word and then transfer to our blogs whenever we get internet, which is not very often. WiFi is not exactly the most reliable thing here in Ecuador, but we make it work. Ok well now on to today.

Day Numero Dieciseis:

Today began with us waking up to absolutely no bugs, no mosquito nets, and not dying for lack of air. The Galapagos Islands are too good to be true. It is quite the difference from the Amazon and we welcome it with open arms. After a breakfast of Coco Puffs (we devoured the entire hotel's stash of it in ten minutes flat) we hopped into our suits again headed for the marina. We jumped onto a speed boat and made our way to our first destination for the day: Kicker Rock. For those of you Harry Potter fans, it looks like its from the Half-Blood Prince (6th one for those Harry Potter challenged) when Harry and Dumbledore find the locket horcrux. In case you were wondering not only did we see this massive rock jutting from the water, but we also snorkeled around the big rock. Oh and no it is not a reef or anything, it is straight, sheer rock into 300 feet of water. Kylee, if you're reading this, YOU WOULD HAVE DIED. I thought it was freaky, you my dear would have had a heart attack. I do believe the best part about it though was diving down and seeing the sharks swimming below us. Yes, I swam with sharks and I am alive to tell the tale. Not to mention they were also a good 300 feet below me and they could have cared less whether I was there or not, so there really was no danger in the whole thing. I must say, however, the only danger I could have been was how cold the water was. Seeing how Current Humboldt (the cold current from the Antarctic) is making it's way to the Galapagos, I was very thankful for my oh so flattering wet suit.
After seeing the sharks waaaaay down below, we got to dive down and see all the different sea turtles that were lurking underneath us. I came so close to one, that I could have touched it if it were allowed. They are very prehistoric looking if you ask me, but at the same time they are incredibly graceful at the same time. Once we swam around for an hour or so, we got back on the boat and ate some lunch, then went snorkeling again at a new location, Isla Lobos. Here was more reef-like, so no worries no sharkies were spotted. We did however play around with a very playful sea lion pup. It was SO cute! It was very hard to say goodbye and climb back aboard our boat, but it was necessary so we could head back home before the water became too choppy. We came back to our hotel and were allowed to go around town for a few hours before dinner and shop and take some town photos. After meandering the streets we headed to dinner and then back to the hotel. Tonight we pack and tomorrow we say goodbye to San Cristobal and hello to Santa Cruz. Goodnight everybody and see  you in four days! Peace and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment