My Blog List

Friday, June 15, 2012


Day Numero Nueve:

Welcome back to Quito everyone! Today we arose and had our last delightful breakfast provided by our  loving hotel owners, Leo and Angelica, before packing. Let me just say, packing soggy, grimy clothing items is not fun. It did not smell all that good either. Sorry Momma, but the laundry room is going to be smelling pretty rank in two weeks when I return. Enough about my smelly clothes though...as apart of our last few hours in Mindo, Ecuador, we went on a scavenger hunt throughout the town. Our list differed from a picture of a pizzeria sign to a picture of a hummingbird pollinated flower. After spending so much time with biologists and learning about birds, the last thing I said about the flower was actually the easiest one to find. We were split into teams and were left to roam the town. Oh and for the record, my team won. HOLLAAAAA. As a reward we got to eat any type of dessert tonight. After having our last meal ever in Mindo, we boarded our beloved bus and made our way back to Quito. The two hour ride of curves and bumps left us all feeling a little queasy and more than happy to be back. We said hello to Hostal Arupo again and quickly made our way to our old rooms. It's safe to say I have missed the city, even though the peace and quiet and wildlife is something I will miss tremendously. We walked around Quito and meandered into a local market where we were able to buy some more souvenirs and burn off some pent up energy. Dinner tonight was delicious and well deserved. French fries, a sandwich, and a Diet Coke have never tasted so good in my life. Oh and remember that dessert I was promised as a reward for winning? My rocky road brownie was absolutely divine. Tonight we pack for the Amazon, where for the next four days we will be surrounded by bugs, bugs, and more bugs! (Mom this is the part where you start squealing because you are picturing all the creepy crawlers from the movies) By the end of this trip no bug will ever bug me again, no pun intended. As our trip progresses bugs are more of fascination than a fear for me. There are some pretty neat-o bugs out there to be discovered. Well seeing I decided to write all this down, my packing has been neglected and I must go prepare for tomorrow. Ta-ta for now my friends and wish me luck on my five hour canoe ride tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment